Friday, March 13, 2009

Wandering through Desolace...

I realize that not much has changed. I did not like it when I was here before, I do not like it now. It is dusty, devoid of civilization, and full of nasty little animals that sting, claw and bite without the least provocation, Not to mention that there isn't a pub for miles, if not hundreds of miles.


As I was wandering through the deserted landscape, some ruins in the distance caught my eye. Now, you may or may not know that I am not a charter member of the Explorer's League. I do however, maintain close ties with them, and have worked with Brann Bronzebeard personally in the past. I could not leave these intriguing ruins unexplored. The ruins themselves were relatively unremarkable, Pre Sundering era Thalassian ruins from that are frequent in this area. The ruins had been taken over by a tribe of Magram Centaur, which again, is not uncommon in these lawless parts. As I wheeled my cat to leave, this structure caught my eye.



So, seeing strange ruins in a distant part of the land without anyone around to help me or tell me otherwise, I did what any dwarf would do, I went inside to see what it was. Hopefully, I could discover the origins of this out of place structure. As I pressed deeper into the musty tunnel, I began to come across restless centaur spirits. This place seemed to have been holy ground for them, and had somehow become disturbed.



It is rare to find centuar tribes that have actually evolved enough as a civilization to actually build more advanced stone structures, so I was beginning to get excited that I was on the verge of a great discovery here. That was when I turned the corner and found this:


It was an open magic portal, standing alone in a room. It must have been crafted many years ago, by a very skilled practitioner of the magical arts, since outside of the collective magical might of the conjurers of Dalaran, there is no one left in the world that can make permanent magic portals. It is a near lost art, and the power it takes to maintain them indefinitely....Well, lets just say they are rare, indeed.



Well, it was there, I was there, I had to do what came naturally! I closed my eyes and stepped through the portal. I must admit, I did not expect what I beheld when I opened them.....


I was standing in a pool of clear green water with a thundering waterfall nearby and the wet moist air filled with the sounds of life. I looked up, and could see the moon still in the daytime sky. It appeared that I was still in Desolace, but a part that was not so easily accessible. This must have been protected from the explosion of the Well of Eternity during the sundering. This is what Desolace used to look like!




Now thoroughly enjoying myself, I gripped my axe, tightened my pack straps and went off to see what I could see.



I saw some dinosaurs. Now, I don't like dinosaurs. I don't know what kind they were, and could care less what kind since my experiences in Un'Goro. I left the seat of many a good pair of trousers in that crater hanging in the jaws of those beasties!

As I ventured in further I also saw the biggest bloody crockolisk I have ever seen in my life, and I have seen some big ones, but this monster took the cake.




As I ventured deeper, I found a mad being that hurled herself at me, intent on crushing me for venturing into her lair!




I defended myself and sadly, ended up slaying the beastie. After the fell, he thanked me for releasing her from her milennia of torment, and I felt a great peace settle over the caverens.

I then wandered around for a time, looking for an exit from these amazing caves, only to find that my entrance portal was, unfortunately, one way. Well, as any good dwarven adventurer, I was prepared for this, and activated my stone, and was whisked away to my Favorite Pub in Ironforge, to share my tale with my friends in the Explorers League, and get myself a strong pint of real dwarven beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment